Aap Beti

Autobiography of Sheikhul Hadith Maulana Muhammad Zakariyya (rahmatullahi 'alayh)

Sunday, July 02, 2006

'Childish Pranks'!

Subhaanallah, even our 'Awliyaah have a sense of humour! 'Hazrat Gangohi' is none other than Hazrat Maulana Rasheed Ahmed Gangohi (rahmatullahi 'alayh), whose piety is beyond the scope of mere words. His daughter, at this time quite old, is mentioned in the story below:

...I also remember another story involving Hazrat Madani. I have already mentioned that during the lifetime of Sahebzadi (the daughter of Hazrat Gangohi), Hazrat Madani, my late uncle and I used to visit Gangoh quite often. Maulana Madani would go there on many occasions and quite a few times I accompanied him. Because my uncle was faw away, in spite of his desire to be there, he could only go there very rarely, but his wish was that when Hazrat Maulana and I went, we should inform him. If Maulana Madani arrived suddenly, then there was nothing that could be done. But when it was written in my diary that such a journey was planned, I informed my uncle before hand.

Once the three of us went to Gangoh. No one knew of our coming. As we arrived, Sahebzadi and Chacha Yakoob were extremely happy to see us, as if Eid had arrived. Moreover all three of us were together! Soon curry was prepared. She had a special gift of cooking something very delicious, very quickly. If there was only us, we ate in the ladies' section of the house and if there were many others with us, we ate in the men's section. This time we ate in the ladies' section. She sent various foods with Chacha Yakoob to place before us and then he went inside to fetch the roti. Hazrat Madani said, "While he is gone to bring the rote, let us finish the curry." We did just that. That was in the time of my youth.

When he brought the roties, the curry plates were already cleaned out. He went inside and told his mother, "Amma-ji, they have eaten the curry without the roties."

Then he went back inside and brought more curry. When he came with the curry, the roties were finished. This time, Sahebzadi herself came into the door and said, "They call you three Hazrats, but it seems to me as if you're childhood days have not yet passed."

Maulana Madani said, "Haji Yakoob is playing the fool with us. When he brings roti there is no curry, and when he brings curry, there is no roti. Is he feeding us or playing the fool with us?"

I said, "Whether they call us Hazrat or anything else, we will still remain your children and under you."

Then she said, "These childish pranks have really made me very happy."

With Maulana Madani, such incidents happened quite often from time to time.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamoalaykum...

I love Shaikul Hadith (Rahmatullahi Alayhe).

Please put up what he wrote, where he mentions his attitude with the Ahlul Hadith. I think his attitude is an example to be followed.

It is the one with the lines about a greengrocer and a piece of ginger...

1:40 pm  
Blogger Muslima21 said...

I absolutely love shaikh maulana muhammad zakariyya,mashAllah what a personality!my father actually met him and also stayed at the khanqah.
Aap Beti is an amazing read.

1:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home